Recessed Light and Gas line proximity...

Old 03-09-11, 09:56 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed Light and Gas line proximity...

As I put up the lighting in my basement finish I have a lot of wires vents (HVAC) to work around for the recessed lights. As luck would have it there is also the copper gas line that runs to the fireplace that is right where I can/would like to put a recessed can. I can get it set about 2-3 inches away then I am hitting the return duct.

So question, is my can ok being that close to the gas line if I put insulation or maybe a barrier between the light and line? Should I be worried about heat close to the gas line?
I heard from someone over in the lighting forum that copper might not be used for a nat. gas line anymore because it could corrode over time?

I might be able to move the can another couple inches and/or I can move it higher up towards the top of the can or lower it so its closer to the bottom of the can, which I think would be lower risk due to heat from can rising?
The can is airtight and rated for insulation contact.
Thanks
Mark

Old 03-13-11, 08:33 PM
W
Any ideas, I couldn't find any information online. Has anyone heard of this situation and had to deal with an inspector?

Old 03-14-11, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Are your can lights insulation contact (IC) fixtures? If so, move the line away from contact with the fixture and it should be fine. I think there are restrictions on running new copper for NG that is not coated, but I'll have to leave that to gas guys.

Old 03-17-11, 07:44 PM
W
The cans are ICAT, I do plan on putting a barrier of 1/2" gypsum to help with any heat deflection.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: