Extending Flexible Copper HVAC (Split Unit) Lines?

Old 03-15-11, 07:36 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extending Flexible Copper HVAC (Split Unit) Lines?

I know this could also fit into the HVAC section, but I'm guessing it may get the best answer here since it's a plumping concern.

I am installing a split unit AC/Heat Pump unit tomorrow, and the refrigerant lines that come with it are not long enough to reach between the compressor and indoor unit. The unit clearly states you can run much longer lines than I'll be using, but the unit just doesn't come with a very long lineset. I'll need to splice in some extra length (about 10'). I'll be having a pro come in later to inspect my work and charge the system.

My Question: What are the appropriate joints for these refrigerant lines? Do you flare these or sweat them together? I think I'd rather sweat them in, but just want to be sure I'm doing things right.

FWIW, the lines are 1/4" and 3/8" flexible copper.

Old 03-16-11, 12:46 AM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Forget it. Linesets come in different lengths and they MUST be silver soldered while also having a constant purge gas flow (dry nitrogen during the time the tubing is hot. Unless you have experience and the proper tools/equipment to do the job correctly all you will do is destroy the lineset you have AND possibly contaminate the refrigeration system when you try to make the final connections and charge the system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: