shortening a run of gas line

Old 03-20-11, 12:08 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shortening a run of gas line

I am renovating my basement and building a shop. Part of the project is renovating a laundry area. I am insulating the walls in my raised ranch basement by framing out an interior wall, adding a vapor barrier (6 mil plastic sheeting) and then drywall. This means that in the laundry room I have to move the natural gas line so that it won't be behind the insulation and the vapor barrier (absolutely necessary, right?). To do this I will have to remove a long section of black pipe (8 feet - this is all 1/2 inch black pipe) and run another, shorter section above the laundry area in the ceiling (which is a dropped drywall ceiling) to bring it out in front of the new wall that I am constructing for the dryer. Basically, I am relocating the pipe by removing about 5 feet and adding 2 new 90 elbows and also moving the dryer location by about 3 feet.

I have read the forums and other sites about the concerns of DIY gas line project. I appreciate the concerns when they aren't shrill. Having read it all, I think this is something I can do myself. I know there's no actual badge to get for this, but I think I am a pretty competent DIYer, who knows his limits.

I wondered if other "pretty competent DIYers" think this is not too difficult or risky of a gas line reroute project, given all of the talk on this and other forums about the dangers of working with gas and Black pipe.

Just looking for any feedback. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-11, 02:51 PM
You do know that most jurisdictions will allow gas pipe to be concealed don't you?, you just can't conceal a valve or union.

Old 03-20-11, 05:45 PM
P
Actually, in my town you can do whatever you want. There are no building codes. You only need a permit if you change the footprint of the house, and you don't need any inspection otherwise. Kind of weird. Anyway, I know you can conceal line in most walls. I've never seen anything about concealing in insulation, behind a vapor barrier. I thought about it and thought I wouldn't be able to sleep at nights knowing there was a gas line behind 6 mil of plastic liner.... do you think it's acceptable?

Old 03-20-11, 08:43 PM
S
Like shacko said it's ok to cover this gas line up but if you want to re-route it there's no harm in that. Just remember to turn the gas valve off at the meter of course... Use pipe thread sealant on the male threads and support the pipe with a hanger or strap if necessary. Spray it down with soapy water when your done to check for leaks and re-light any pilot lights you may have.

Old 03-20-11, 09:25 PM
I think sdplumer has said it all. It sounds like a fairly straight foward project. Follow sdplumer advice and you should be all set. The only extra I would add would be not to go crazy cleaning that first joint, where the old black pipe meets the new. Others might disagree, but I think you should be fairly gentle while cleaning those threads.
Also, if this is your first time doing this, I would make sure to have 2 pipe wrenches around. Not trying to be a smart aleck, just running through mistakes I've made in the past.
Good luck