Help: water leak from under ground hot water pipe

Old 03-20-11, 08:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help: water leak from under ground hot water pipe

We just found some water leaking in the garage, not very fast, just dripping out from the bottom of the sheet rock wall separate the water heater (in the garage) and my office. Also, I can feel the some areas of wood floor close to the water heater are much warmer than other area.

One plumbing guy told me it is because of the broken pipe of hot water under the concrete. it will cost me lots of money to fix it. can anyone tell me who can fix this type of problem and how much it will cost? Thanks a lot.

Old 03-20-11, 09:15 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

First, you need to figure out EXACTLY where the leak is. Since you are seeing the water on the garage floor and you are feeling warm areas, that's probably pretty close to the leak. I tend to doubt that the leak is under the slab. Water runs downhill. If the leak is under the slab, it's highly unlikely that it'll show any evidence of the leak on TOP of the slab! And if you are feeling warth in the lower part of the wall, the leak is in the wall. (That's a couple grand less than a leak under the slab!!)

MUCH easier to cut and repair sheetrock than concrete. I would start looking there.

Old 03-20-11, 09:55 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Open the sheetrock a bit to see what direction the water is coming from. Under slab water lines should be sleeved in plastic where they penetrate the slab. If the water is coming up and out of the sleeve, the leak is most likely right there within a couple of feet. If you want to avoid punching test holes in your garage floor you will want to contact a leak locator to pinpoint the leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: