Do people use plumber's putty anymore?

Old 03-25-11, 06:39 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do people use plumber's putty anymore?

Just curious. I got some of it because the video of the vinyl shower pan liner being installed showed using it between the vinyl liner and the base of the shower drain. Of course, many say to use silicone caulk instead, but I was curious if anyone uses the putty and what they use it for?

Old 03-25-11, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I use putty for mounting faucets and installing sink and tub strainers.

Mike NJ

Old 03-25-11, 06:51 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
why not just caulk? why putty? thanks by the way.

Old 03-25-11, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
The putty remains soft for a long time, making it a good choice for situations where a watertight, but reversible, seal is preferred. Also no wait time. Install and done.

Removing silicone sealant Is very difficult and if the parts to be disassembled ever again I do not use it. Plus you need to wait for it to cure. Time is money

I will use it on certain sink materials where hair line cracks will develop if putty is used.

Mike NJ

Old 03-25-11, 11:58 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Disagree a little

There are so many synthetic basin products out there that it is hard to know which ones will be damaged by the oils in putty. I have even installed some that said putty was ok and then they issued a TSB saying use silicone. In one case I had a china lav (Toto) that was slightly mis-cast and putty would not seal it. I used silicone and it worked perfectly. Silicone is messy to work with, so have some denatured alcohol on hand to clean up the job. My problem with putty is that the damage can take years to show up. I have replaced a lot of lavs ruined by it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: