Water alarm in basement?

Old 03-26-11, 08:57 AM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water alarm in basement?

I hope I posted this in the right place. I have concerns about what would happen if a pipe broke in the cellar and only my wife is home.

I have thoughts of buying a few water alarms or sensors for that kind of situation.

Do you have any thoughts on what I might be looking for? I really can't spend a whole lot at all.

I was thinking of getting a few cheap sensors off of ebay or something like that.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Old 03-26-11, 10:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I installed one for a customer once that hooked directly to the incoming line ahead of the cut off valve. It had a sensor wire that you placed either on the floor or in the water heater pan. When water hit the sensor, a valve shut the water off to the house. You had to reset it to resume service. Only drawback would be seepage from the wall or elsewhere hitting the sensor and causing a false trip. I'll try to locate the name and post if for you.
Here's one, I am sure there are others: WDS FloodSafe® Water Detector Shutoff, Water Heater Leak Detectors, Water Safety & Flow Control - Watts

Old 03-27-11, 05:25 PM
J
Thanks, I was thinking of a more passive device. Someone is almost always home. Of course, that is a far better setup.

Old 03-27-11, 05:38 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Lowes and Home Depot sell a $10.00 alarm to sence water in the plumbing dept.
Does you wife know how to shut the water off?

Old 04-01-11, 07:28 PM
J
yep she does! didnt know it was that cheap...thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: