finishing rough out for basement tub drain

Old 03-29-11, 07:43 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
finishing rough out for basement tub drain

Need some help finishing the rough out for a basement tub drain.

I had a plumber break up the basement slab, install a 2 drain pipe, vent, and cleanout, which all passed inspection.

I am now ready to back fill, install poly, and pour concrete but have come across two possible issues:

In my reading, some have recommended installing a sleeve around the pvc pipes that contact the concrete to address the issue of expansion and contraction differences between the two materials.

If the experts in this forum think this a good idea, my questions are what type/material sleeve should I use?

The other recommendation is to block the concrete around the p-trap for access. Is this a sound recommendation/are there code violations to consider?
If I were to pour around a square blocking, I am unsure how to accomplish this because the area I live in has a high water table (~3 inches below slab several weeks after rain). Meaning, it may be more complicated than its worth.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-11, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
If the experts in this forum think this a good idea, my questions are what type/material sleeve should I use?
Use 3" pvc as a sleave. It sould go down far enough below the slab.

The other recommendation is to block the concrete around the p-trap for access. Is this a sound recommendation/are there code violations to consider?

It should be hard trapped. I dont think you need a access. Unless they put a LA trap which they should not have. And I really hope its not a standard P-trap. ( you said it was inspected so it should be correct.)

If I were to pour around a square blocking, I am unsure how to accomplish this because the area I live in has a high water table (~3 inches below slab several weeks after rain). Meaning, it may be more complicated than its worth.

Unless you have a sump, water is going to seep its level and come up around the pipe if it wants. Even if you cement right to the pipe.

Mike NJ

Old 03-29-11, 08:33 AM
I
Thanks for the response. If you or someone could clarify...

Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Use 3" pvc as a sleave. It sould go down far enough below the slab.
It looks like the OD for a 2" is 2.375" for both schedule 40 and 80. The ID for a 3" are 3.068" for a schedule 40 and 2.900" for a schedule 80. So a 3" pvc sleeve would certainly fit but what do I use to fill the gap betweent the drain pipes and the sleeves?

Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
It should be hard trapped. I dont think you need a access. Unless they put a LA trap which they should not have. And I really hope its not a standard P-trap. ( you said it was inspected so it should be correct.).
Not being a pro, I'm not sure what "hard trapped" means or what an LA trap is but the p-trap has cemented joints (no slip-joints, compression/gaskets, or built-in cleanouts at the bend.)

Old 03-29-11, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
but what do I use to fill the gap betweent the drain pipes and the sleeves?
Sand.

Not being a pro, I'm not sure what "hard trapped" means or what an LA trap is but the p-trap has cemented joints (no slip-joints, compression/gaskets, or built-in cleanouts at the bend.)
Yes all glue, no removable fittings is hard trapped.

Mike NJ

Old 03-29-11, 04:08 PM
If you have a tub rough-in in a cement slab unless it is perfect you will never be able to hook it up without a box around the pipe; I always use a 8x12in

Old 03-29-11, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
As Shacko stated, is it a tub?

I assumed because you stated 2", and hard trapped it was a shower.

He is correct that unless your dead on you would need to box it out. But then it should not be hard trapped. You cant swing the joint to line up with the waste and overflow.

Mike NJ