not sure if this belongs here, but

Old 04-04-11, 09:27 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
not sure if this belongs here, but

the problem I'm having is after having my sewer lines and water lines replaced awhile back, every time the city's sewer truck comes out to clean out the sewer lines, my toilets blow water and air (including nasty sewer gas smell) The city says it's something to do with the back flow valve I had installed and the company that installed my lines and the back flow valve says it's working right. No one seems to know how or why this happens. the only thing they do say is that it isn't their fault.
meanwhile I have to mop up the water each time it happens.

Old 04-04-11, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I dont think the backwater valve has anything to do with it. If anything it sould prevent what you are describing.

How does the town clean the sewers? Jetting?

It would seem you have more of a venting issue?

Mike NJ

Old 04-04-11, 10:03 AM
S
the city uses a big vacuum truck. Strange if they're vacuuming, I'm getting air into my lines, but that's what's happening. Don't know about venting, but I know it never happened until after I had the lines replaced and the back flow installed.

Old 04-04-11, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
I failed to post a link.

Backwater Valve Installation - Retrofit in non-new construction

I think these valves are always open until a back flow situation. They need to be installed correctly.

Mike NJ

Old 04-04-11, 10:57 AM
S
thanks for the link but it didn't really help...the valve was installed at the same time as the sewer lines, etc were done and according to them, it's installed correctly and doing what it's supposed to do

Old 04-04-11, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Thats fine, but thats what they are going to say of course. How can you really be sure its installed correctly unless you educate yourself on the workings.

Its just logical thinking.

Example: I can install a water heater and when the homeowner says he does not have enough HW I tell him its not my problem its installed correctly...... Make sense?

If your having a issue and you did not have it before this valve was installed then I would think its the valve.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: