Outdoor faucet handle replacement

Old 04-04-11, 09:43 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor faucet handle replacement

I recently purchased a home and realized quickly that there was something wrong with an outdoor faucet and an indoor shut-off valve.

To my novice eye, it looks like the handles have been broken off each of these. Is this something easy to replace or do I need to have someone come in and look at it?

What is the recommended procedure for repairing each of these things?

Link to pictures

Old 04-04-11, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Your type of water pipe is not homeowner friendly. You need to remove the threaded galvinized pipe to a clean thread and convert to copper. Replace that inside valve with a ball valve, and the outside with a frost free hose bib.

Its probably better to call a plumber if you have never done that type of work before. I dont know where you live but I would estimate here in NJ to be about $1000 to replave both valves.

Mike NJ

Old 04-04-11, 11:49 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lawrosa
Your type of water pipe is not homeowner friendly. You need to remove the threaded galvinized pipe to a clean thread and convert to copper. Replace that inside valve with a ball valve, and the outside with a frost free hose bib.

Its probably better to call a plumber if you have never done that type of work before. I dont know where you live but I would estimate here in NJ to be about $1000 to replave both valves.

Mike NJ
Is it a possibility to leave the existing pipe and replace the faucet handle/head?

Old 04-04-11, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I dont think so. You need a whole new stem and the chances of matching it to the specific brand is very slim.

Mike NJ

Old 04-04-11, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just to clarify...yes..the entire faucet (properly called a hose bibb) could probably be replaced...but unless you are familiar with working with galv pipe, have the required tools, and are prepared to deal with broken threads, loose connections, leaks etc (and possibly have to go w/o water for a few days)..it would be best to follow lawrosas advice. If you know someone, it might be much cheaper to get someone to do a side job.

Theres always visegrips...

Old 04-05-11, 09:05 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If the isolation valve is operable (vise grips) I would attempt to do the repair myself. Close the isolation valve and disassemble the hose bibb. Remove the gland nut and valve bonnet on the hose bibb and pull out the stem and internals. take them with you to the local plumbing supply store and see if they can hook you up with new parts.

Repairing the isolation valve is trickier because Murphy could intervene.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: