Flexible water supply line

Old 04-21-11, 07:14 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flexible water supply line

I noticed that the PVC pipe for my home's water supply (I'm on my own private water well) is curving downward where it come's out of my home's wall (horizontal pipe is about 12" long, 1" PVC). I know it isn't always like that, so it's probably due to the severe lack of rainfall around here.

I know PVC can get brittle when outdoors exposed to sunlight. This pipe is twenty years old, and the 12" horizontal piece and about two feet of vertical pipe are exposed. I'm concerned that it may break at some point.

So is there something I can replace part of the pipe with, or some technique I can use, that can easily handle the flexing?

Thanks,
Ira

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-11, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Hi.

I am not sure what you are describing.

Could you tell what material the pipe is? Is it PVC? (white) Poly? (black) Are there #'s on the pipe?

Second, is this pipe leaving the home outside? Going to a well head?

I would think it should be underground below the frost line, unless you are in a area where the well tanks are outside.

If you could take pics it would help. You need to post to a free site and post the link here.

I would probably repipe with a more flexible pipe, and bury it.

Mike NJ

Old 04-22-11, 08:10 AM
I
The pipe is 1" schedule 40 PVC (white). I'm in SE Texas, so there really is no frost line consideration. Tanks, softeners, etc., are often outside. I don't think I've ever seen a home around here where the water enters the house underground. Most homes are built on concrete slabs (no basement) and most water lines are run in the attic then down the walls.

The line comes out of my house about two feet above the ground for about 12". It then turns downward till it gets about 18" below the ground. Then it goes underground about 150' to the tank in my well pump house.

Old 04-22-11, 04:05 PM
The plastic type pipes will bend if they are out in the sun without fasteners on them, most of them also don't have ultra-violet inhibiters in them so the sun will cause damage; what you have to do is replace, add hangers and paint the new pipe.