leak in sink's cold water supply line

Old 04-22-11, 08:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leak in sink's cold water supply line

I have hooked up an RO/DI water purification unit to the cold water supply line underneath my kitchen sink.

Considering this is my first plumbing task, it is a monumental miracle. :-D

I had to get a 1/2" to 3/8" hose along with a 3/8" nipple to be able to get this to work (couldn't find a fitting to fit the connection of the ro/di unit t-adapter to the 3/8 pipe coming out of the floor).

Even though I had these troubles it is now hooked up pretty darn good, except...

Where I screw the nut down from the line coming from the faucet into the t-adapter for the water unit.. there is a small leak.. about 1-2 drops per second (adds up pretty quick though, aye?).

I've read to get some teflon tape, but I googled it and some pages it said teflon tape would not do anything unless the threads were tapered. I don't know if these are tapered threads or not.

So how do I stop this leak?

Old 04-22-11, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Hi.

Is this connection a nut and ferrule type fitting?

If so and its plastic pipe, you need to use a plastic ferrule and not a brass one. Also there are inserts that go in the end of the plastic tubing so it does not collapse.

Did tou use all of the above?

Tape will not help when it is a commpression type connection.

Let us know.

From: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...n-sleeves.html

Mike NJ

Old 04-22-11, 10:46 PM
S
Yes, that is almost the type of thing I have. Except both ends of the tube have a plastic 3/8" fitting that I screwed on (and tightened).

However, the leak is where the flexible tubing from the faucet meets a brass adapter that i purchased to fit the water purifier's t-adapter. This adapter takes the 3/8" nut that screws the end of the flexible tubing onto the line coming out of the basement and turns it into a 1/2" male to screw into the water purifier.

The leak is where these two meet.

Does the flexible tubing coming from the fauce need an insert too to prevent it from collapsing? If so, I may have messed that up when unhooking it.

(the brass adapter I mentioned above came with one of these inserts and a nut but I just used the old nut and screwed it on)

For clarification, here is the brass adapter (Watts 3/8" x 1/2" brass compression connection)

The 3/8 end hooks onto the line going to the faucet. The 1/2 end hooks unto my water purifier adapter which looks as follows:

And here is a crappy diagram I drew in paint of my set up. I am missing the nipple at the bottom of the water purifier unit's adapter, but it is not an issue as it is not leaking. Sorry it's so crappy but I'm trying to help you guys help me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 04-22-11, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Where you are showing your leak use the brass nut, brass insert, and plastic ferrule. It should be good.

What did you use?

Sometimes old nuts get cracked from overtightening. I always use new. If using a metal ferule, that could be the issue. They pinch the tubing sometimes.

Also look at my pic and make sure the plastic ferule goes on the proper way. One side is tapered more.

If still you have a leak, or are using everything I stated then dome teflon paste around that tapered part of the ferule and alittle on the threads should cure your issue.

Mike NJ

Old 04-23-11, 11:47 AM
S
Thumbs up

Thank you lawrosa!

I disassembled the whole thing, put the new brass nut and fitting on the faucet line, and put teflon tape around every male part.. lol

Probably overkill, but I am happy to state that there is now NO leak!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: