stainless steel into brass?

Old 04-28-11, 12:46 PM
Z
Received 87 Upvotes on 81 Posts
stainless steel into brass?

hi folks –

Is there anything wrong with connecting a male-thread stainless steel adapter into a female-thread brass ball valve ? Seems like there shouldn’t be a chemical reaction but I’m not sure. That configuration would be handling well water that is very acidic.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-29-11, 06:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,709 Upvotes on 1,526 Posts
Dissimilar metals of any type are not good in a corrosive/conductive environment but I don't suppose you have much a choice. I'm sure you have no way of telling what alloys each is made of but most brass alloys are pretty far from the more common 304 & 316 stainless alloys on the galvanic scale. You could get lucky though. Admiralty brass is close to 416 stainless which machines easily so your fitting could be made from it.

In a tough environment I would also consider plastic fittings. You have to be more careful that there are no stresses on the fittings like supporting weight or if the pipes are not aligned you don't want that stress constantly pulling on plastic.

Old 04-29-11, 09:46 AM
Z
Received 87 Upvotes on 81 Posts
Gotcha Pilot Dane!

Didn’t know any of that…but I knew a little about the galvanic scale. Also I would have never thought of the potential stresses on plastic you point out. Very good information.

Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: