NO HOT water in second floor bathroom after.....

Old 04-30-11, 09:15 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NO HOT water in second floor bathroom after.....

okay so i had very low hot water pressure to the bathtub, and only slightly lower pressure at the sink. had a friend who does plumbing over and he looked at the basement pipes, first he replaced the ball valve for the hot line, that changed nothing, then he pulled the galvanized elbow and found it was almost completely clogged, he replaced that elbow, and also tried clearing any debris in the down pipe connecting to the elbow, only about 15 inches up. after he did this, now there is NO HOT water pressure and he has no ideas.

1st, why would there be at least a little water before and NOTHING afterwards!

2nd im sure there are other elbows, any ideas of how to clean them out without ripping out the walls and ceilings? (old plaster and lath) i move in to this place in 1 month.

Old 04-30-11, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
If you have galvanized pipe then the lines are probably closed up from rust and scale. What he did was probably dislodge some crunde and clogged everything up.

If your not going to invest in a repipe the only way to restore flow somewhat is with a air compressor. This is time consuming.

You can pull the diverter cartridge or stems out to see if the clog is there.

Other wise I usually drain all the water lines, and HWH. Then I hook a compresser after the meter but before a valve. You need to disconnect all lines to the faucets and remove the stems/cartridge at the tub. (Do the tub last)

Take the valves apart under the sinks one at a time and blow each line out. First do the cold, then the hot. If you can put a valve at the HWH outlet then you can pump up the HWH with air, then open that valve.

You have to let the compressor build up to 80 psi or so and open the main water valve quickly. You need ball valves for this to be effective.

I hope you understand what I am trying to explain.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: