Drain for dishwasher

Old 05-02-11, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain for dishwasher

Hello all!
I know that I've questioned this a while ago, but have a slightly different scenario. This also seems to be a pretty common question, but nobody's really been able to answer what I have to ask yet in reading these forums.

I'm installing a dishwasher in my kitchen. Have already run the water line off a separate valve from the sink, routed it through the cabinets and run it over to dishwasher location. Am having conflicting answers about how I can run the drain. The issue I'm having is, the kitchen counters are in an L shape and are kind of as follows:

****SINK******
****SINK******
STOVE
DW

The ** locations are countertops on top of cabinets. People have simply suggested removing a cabinet to the right of the sink and putting the dishwasher there, but I'm not doing it. This would require me removing the entire tile backsplash, all the countertops, then removing the cabinet, which would also leave a gap either on the right or left of the dishwasher, and I cannot afford to lose this cabinet space. The kitchen does not have much to begin with. The location where the dishwasher is to be installed USED to be a niche where the refrigerator was. It was subsequently moved to another location in the kitchen to accommodate this installation. The only drain location within a reasonable distance is that on the kitchen sink, which does NOT have a disposal installed.

I guess the question I'm asking is....can I run PVC piping under the top edge of the cabinets, then tie in at where the sink drain is, for the dishwasher? I can install it at a sloping angle along the back side if flow is a problem for the distance. The total run would be approximately maybe 12', not including the dishwasher drain hose which I'd be very careful to "high loop" for air gapping purposes. Would I be better with running flexible hose? Also, how would I go about tying in at the sink drain?

Any help would be suggested. Well, any help other than "tear out your cabinets," "buy a portable dishwasher," or so forth.

Thanks!

BTW, I'm in North Texas for any related comments...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-11, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Use flexible hose and you need a dishwasher tailpiece. The DW needs to utilize the sink trap.

I remenber you brought this up a while ago. ( You still on that project....LOL )

Mike NJ

Old 05-02-11, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher tail piece? Should I use one continuous piece from the dishwasher to just before the p-trap? My plan was to put a wye just below the sink drain, before the P-trap and attach the dishwasher hose there. That correct? And yes, lol, I am still working on this. It hasn't really been a huge priority, so I'm taking my time. Living alone, a dishwasher is not a absolute necessity -- but a nice thing once in a while. Plus, once it's in, I'm sure it'll get it's use.

Thanks!

Old 05-02-11, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
This is a DW tailpiece. Remove one of your tailpieces and install this.

I think its 5/8 hose for the drain. They sell those flex hoses like this as an extension. I would use rubber myself and not a corragated hose.

Make sure you get the proper type hose.

apconline

Mike NJ