Water valve

Old 05-02-11, 07:04 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water valve

My daughter just bought a house. It had proper inspections, water pipes pressure tested, & winterized. After turing the water on, we found misc. leaks. One pipe split, probbally froze & broke & a valve approx. 12 inches aft the main shut of valve (in the house not at the meter). Is this a pressure regulator (looks like some type of diaphragm valve) & is it needed or can it be eliminated. Thanks for any heap.
Old 05-02-11, 07:47 PM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 15,993
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Thats a pressure reducing valve. Your street pressure is higher then what house pressure shoule be. If you did not have this device you could damage fixtures, and plumbing.

Also this makes your system a closed system. So check the expansion tank that you should have somewhere in the home. Typically they are at the HWH. Could be near the incoming water line also.

With no water pressure on the tank the air charge should be the same as the home pressure. If 60psi water pressure set the tank to 60psi.

I would suggest you get a pressure gauge that attaches to a outside hose bib so you know what your dealing with.

Mike NJ

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: