PVC Cap

Old 05-05-11, 07:08 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question PVC Cap

There's got to be a simple solution for this but I'm having trouble solving it...I have a white 4 inch PVC pipe sticking out of the ground in my yard. It has had a makeshift cap on it since I've moved in and it's falling apart. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and found a 4" PVC rounded cap but of course since the pipe and cap are both 4" it won't fit. Do I need to purchase some connectors or something? I couldn't locate among their stock what I would need and nobody was around to ask. Is it all right to cap it off tight or should I purchase a cap that allows air to circulate around the cap into the pipe? It's almost as if I need a 4.5" cap so it'll cover the 4" PVC pipe correctly but I couldn't locate a 4.5" cap. Could someone please tell me what I need and/or what I'm missing? I feel stupid with such a simple problem! Thank you!

Old 05-05-11, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
It sounds like its SDR 35 pipe. Its different size then schedule 40 PVC. Go back to the home store and look around by the fittings. Its there. Its thinner plastic.

Mike NJ

Old 05-05-11, 07:39 PM
V
Question Thank you!

Thank you Mike! Much appreciated! So is it okay for the cap to fit tight or should it fit a little loosely to allow some air flow?

Thank you again!
Greg

Old 05-05-11, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
The question you had was what I assumed the cap would not fit. What you descibed was the pipe you have sticking out of the ground was inbetween sizes of what you bought at the store.

The correct cap to buy possibly is a 4" sdr 35 cap. If the pipe out of the ground is SDR. ( This is a gasket pipe but you would not know. Typically green but white is seen.

If its PVC schedule 40, the you need a 4" PVC schedule 40 cap.

They both are different sizes but the caps should fit tight/snug. There should be no play at all.

Mike NJ

Old 05-05-11, 08:56 PM
Received 54 Upvotes on 48 Posts
Rather the cap needs to be tight fitting or loose to allow airflow depends on what the pipe is for. Does it just lead to a water valve or a clean out pipe? Is it a vent for a septic tank? You need to see what the pipe is for to get an answer.

Old 05-06-11, 03:32 AM
V
Question Thanks for the follow up...

Loooks like it leads to a clean out pipe which is about two feet from it with a screw on cap. Whenever we're running the shower inside I can hearwater comingfrom that pipe that I want to cap. I don't see any water but there are sounds of running water coming from it. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: