Have a tyical sink drain problem

Old 05-06-11, 04:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have a tyical sink drain problem

The bathroom sink is plugged up. Have tried plunger, draino gel, vinegar and baking soda followed by boiling water, shop vac sucking and blowing, still plugged up. I think the problem is way down the pipe because the shop vac sucked up a good amount of water. I think if the trap was clogged very little water would have been sucked up? Before I call for service I think I'll remove the trap and try a snake? I seem to remember years ago they had to clean out the vent on the roof? Could this be the problem or part of the problem? How do you clean out a roof vent? Can anyone give me info?
Thaanks

Old 05-06-11, 05:39 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would guess that years of hair, body oils and soap scum are the problem. If you can get a snake to make the bends without doubling up on itself, it should find the clog. If you can see the distance from the sink to the stack, you will be able to approximate the amount of snake you need to feed.

I believe that a garden hose with a straight nozzle, turned on and the nozzle set for maximum stream, are fed from the top of the vent down as far as possible - hopefully freeing any blockage.

Old 05-06-11, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
An old trick I used to do was tape the roof vent with duct tape. Or the bathroom vent if its not part of the stack. You need to plug the sink overflow hole also. Remove the pop up if you can also. Fill the sink and plunge like heck. ( This was usually done for kitchen sinks). Make sure you fill the sink with enough water. You will get wet if you do it correctly.

You get better suction. There is a way to plunge also. And the correct plunger. Get a good plunge going, with good suction then speed up slightly, and on a pull, pull the plunger away from the drain. You should get a good pop sound.

Dont forget to remove the tape on the vent when your done.

What type of pipe is it?

Mike NJ

Old 05-06-11, 10:14 PM
B
If I put a hose down the roof drain I will not flood anything?

Old 05-06-11, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
You may. It depends on where the clogg is. Have someone watch the fixtures for rising water. Even if you pull the hose out fast all the water in the vent may flood the fixture.

Mike NJ

Old 05-07-11, 05:43 AM
B
I think I'll take the drain apart and snake the pipe. If that doesn't work I'll have to spend the money and call the pros. If I screw up and flood the bathroom the boss (wife) will not be happy. Does anyone have anything against Roto Router or should I get a local plumber? Thanks guys.

Old 05-07-11, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
That company may be cheaper because that all they really do. They all try to sell you something once they are in the door. The trouble with snaking if you never done it, is trying to get the snake around the bends. This is true where the vent meets. The snake sometimes goes up the vent instead of down the drain. It takes feel to make it go where you want. Sometimes short bursts in reverse helps. Also dont get the snake all bound up and twisted in the drain.

In NJ we typically would charge $49 to walk in the door and $225 to snake any small drain up to 50 ft.

You can do it.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: