Leaking Outdoor Faucet

Old 05-08-11, 11:39 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking Outdoor Faucet

My faucet extends through a brick veneer wall. My home is on a concrete slab. The only cutoff I'm aware of is the main cutoff in my front yard between the front sidewalk & the curb/gutter/concrete street. I think I stripped the faucet handle trying to tighten it to keep it from leaking. Now the water is more of a slow, light flow rather than a drip. I'm afraid if I mess with it anymore, the faucet will come apart. How can I either repair it or replace it w/o having very much talent with my plumbing skills?

Old 05-08-11, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
You may just need a washer in the hose bibb (faucet). You'll have to turn off the water (they make a cheap tool called a curb key, but you might be able to use a wrench), hold the body of the bibb to prevent turning and possible pipe damage, open the valve like you were turning on the water, then use a wrench to loosen the nut below the handle...once its loose you can turn the handle to remove the whole stem. The washer will be on the bottom, held with a screw. Careful removing the screw..they are normally brass and easy to strip the head.

Take the whole assy to a hardware store for replacement parts.

95% of the time its the cheap zinc cast handle that strips..you can buy a new one and a screw to hold it on.

Old 05-08-11, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
The only cutoff I'm aware of is the main cutoff in my front yard between the front sidewalk & the curb/gutter/concrete street.
have you looked around the home for a main water shut off valve? Sometimes they are in the utility rooms with the water heater, or may be protruding out from the sheet rock somewhere.

And as Gunguy stated they sell repair kits that replace all the guts. If you stripped the handle you may just need the handle its self or the whole stem. It depends if its frost free or a regular hose bib.

It would be helpful if you gave us a brand name or a pic of the valve.

Mike NJ

Old 05-08-11, 06:23 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, guys. I bought a new brass faucet. With a slide rather than a turning handle. Works great. Cost me less than $9 including tax. Way cheaper than calling a plumber. I also bought two more for my other two outside faucets that have deteriorating turning handles too. I appreciate the quick responses.

Old 05-08-11, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Uhh..I have no clue what a slide instead of a turning handle is. Was it something you just screwed onto the hose threads?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: