fair plumber's rate - St. Paul suburb, Minnesota

Old 05-22-11, 11:21 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fair plumber's rate - St. Paul suburb, Minnesota

Hello,
an elderly neighbor of mine asked me to look at a plumbing project for him and tell him what I think would be a reasonable amount to expect to expect to have to pay a plumber. I've done a lot of home remodeling, so apparently I'm the expert. I rarely hire contractors, especially if I am able to it myself.
The project looks fairly straight forward and he has the supplies onsite.
Installing a utility sink (laundry tub) in the basement next to the washing machine. There is a faucet there, suspended where the sink would go.
The current faucet is piped with rigid copper, looks like 3/8, going into an adapter with male threads that screw into a female fitting sweated onto 1/2" copper.
It is directly adjacent to the drain line, almost above the floor drain. I'm sure there are specific details missing here. Please post with the questions needed to get a reasonable approximation.

Old 05-22-11, 11:45 AM
E
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Little jobs like that may not be of interest to most guys that are busy, especially if they must use material that is supplied from the home owner. If they charge for their travel time, that cost alone might be more than the time actually spent on the site depending. Sometimes with little jobs like this, finding a retired master plumber from a local Want Ads site is a good option. Often retired pros that aren't working for a big box store are looking for easy work like this to supplement their pensions and will give a very fair price. For them it beats staying home watching Judge Judy. Just something to consider.

Old 05-22-11, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
If all the materials are there I would say about $600.

If its was new install and no materials were there $1200-$1500.

This is based on NJ prices. The big franchise plumbers here originated their pricing stragedys from the St louis area. Clockwork services, or plumbers success international(PSI).

//* PSI :: Real Plumbers, Real Profits Welcome! Be a part of the Plumbers Business Plan for Success *\\

Success Group International (SGI) - A Clockwork Company

So if you get one of these people you can bet a $200-$300 hr rate. Although the pricing is laid out per task, and everything is worked into it.

The electric bill at the warehouse, fuel, labor, etc......

Everyone is going to this type of "straight forward pricing"

Mike NJ

Old 05-22-11, 04:39 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I need to go work in NJ! I'm only 1 state away from you but you should be able to get a better deal than $600 with the right plumber. I would hire a smaller sub-contractor that will probably charge $60 or so an hour plus any parts. That's what we charge. Most of us don't love the idea of using homeowners parts and there's always something we'll need to bring in. I would guess atleast $200 if all goes smooth.

Old 05-22-11, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Yeah...Its the big rolling warehouse trucks yhat are the norm. The last two companys I worked for had this format.

The trucks were a walk ins with two water heaters, three toilets, kitchen/bath faucets, and any part you will need without running to the store. A all bin set up, from pvc, copper, gas, boiler repair, HWH repair, etc

Its, " I can do the job now! Today!" type deal. If you need a part you call in and they run it out to you. I think everyone in any state has seen them with various names. Its not just NJ. These franchises are nation wide.

But the key is they want you to sell, sell, sell... Thats why I am out of the business. I got tired of ripping people off. You see if you cant wait and need the repair asap you are at thier mercy. Believe it or not, the local guys dont return your calls, and you need to wait a few days before anyone of them call you back. These franchises have call centers and schedule you right away.

This concept has been around going on ten yrs already. If you have not heard of them you will. They have one for all trades. Plumbing, HVAC, electric. There are companys in NJ with 50 plus trucks running a day with all trades.

Uggg..thats my story.

Anyway, YES!!!! To the original poster, since you have time, I would get a local semi retired guy to price out the work. I still feel it will be about $300 in your area. Minnesota sounds expensive.

Mike NJ

Old 05-22-11, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 659 Likes on 559 Posts
I was doing a residential job in south Minneapolis. Asked the plumber on the job what he charges per hour and he told me $85 plus material for T & M jobs. I would do the job T&M at a slightly reduced rate since your are not a licensed plumber. That way everybody wins.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: