Move a Bathroom sink drain

Old 05-22-11, 06:14 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Move a Bathroom sink drain

I am nstalling a pedestal sink in the powder room. Need to move the drain line 8 inches to the left to make sure sink is centered. Removed sheet rock and have vent pipe and drain exposed without any complications. How do I move the drain 8 inches to the left? Is this a hard job for a DIYer or should I call a plumber? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-22-11, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Hi.

Is there a tee in the wall, and the sink arm is coming straight out of the tee???

If so you need to cut that tee and turn it in the direction you need to go. Then whatever length pipe, and elbow to get you to 8"

Pics would help.

Mike NJ

Old 05-24-11, 04:49 PM
M
Thanks for the reply. You are exactly correct...there is a tee in the wall with a sink arm coming straight out. Not exactly sure of the size of the vent pipe however. In order to move my drain as originally noted, you suggest cutting the tee out and turning it in the correct direction etc. My question is (and i am somewhat challanged by most plumbing) if I cut the tee out, will I be able to get a longer tee to replace the one I took out or do I have to add a coupling and a stright piece into the tee on each end before the actual movement of the drain?

Old 05-24-11, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
You want to do this with the tee. Of course your length may vary, and you may turn it the other way.

Mike NJ

Old 05-27-11, 09:28 PM
M
After I cut and remove the existing tee what is that piece called that now goes from the pipe into the new tee? Is that some form of coupling or adaptor. I am going to big box store tommorrow and dont really trust them with help...I'd rather know exactly what I want and need rather than have them suggest things).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: