4" pop up drain emitter

Old 05-30-11, 09:13 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" pop up drain emitter

I recently made my flower bed larger and even with one of those accordian flexible tubing, whenever it rains my mulch gets washed out. So I got a 4" pop up drain emitter and 10' pcv tube. I buried the tube under ground (with the proper slope) and directed it out to the middle of the lawn where the emitter is connected.

My question, since I'm using a 4" tube, what would happen if there's not enough flow from the down spout. Would the emitter not open? Would the water back up? I just have to wait until it rains to see what happens.

Old 05-30-11, 10:50 AM
It will only open when there is enough water to push it open if it is like mine.

One minor downfall of a pop-up is that the capacity for flow is actually less than a 4" pvc pipe. I have large gutters and a large downspout and the water flow for a "gully washer" storm can be backed up a bit, but that is a minor rare occassion. - Not worth a "Y" and another pop-up.

I don't know if what I have is an "emitter", since that term indicates a slow gradual flow.

Dick

Old 05-31-11, 05:43 AM
E
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think success will end up depending on how much roof/trough area you are draining. If your downspout is like most, during a heavy rain it can flow like a fire hose. I can't see the pop up providing anyway near enough capacity to handle what the PVC will carry. I have one for my pool overflow that works great but receives a much slower flow rate during rainfall than a typical downspout because of gravity. A gradual slope compared to a vertical supply feed. You may need to extend your PVC further and find a way to allow the end to stay completely open at the edge of the yard if you want it not to back up.

Old 06-06-11, 09:52 AM
C
Success, it worked. We had a down pour yesterday and the emitter worked as designed. I too was also concerned about not having enough flow for the 4" dia tube. I was also concern that the 10' tube wouldn't be long enough, causing the water to flow back to the flower bed. It took a couple few minutes after the rain started before I notice the emitter was flowing water. But I didn't see it backing up out the down spout, so I figure all was well. I guess the 4" tube had to completely fill with water before the emitter will open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: