No natural gas flowing in the pipe to my gas grill

Old 05-30-11, 01:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question No natural gas flowing in the pipe to my gas grill

Here's my problem and my debug process:

Problem - no gas was flowing to any of the three burners on my natural gas grill. (Three burners, three controls.)

Debug

1. *I turned off the valve to the pipe on the outside of my house, and unscrewed the hose connection to the gas grill. I turned on the gas valve. *I neither heard nor smelled gas coming out of the hose.

2. *I disconnected the other end of the hose from pipe that goes into the wall of my house (the gas connection is in the basement). *I turned on the valve, and again, there was no sound nor smell of gas coming out of the pipe.

3. * I went inside, turned on the furnace and cranked the heat. * It worked fine. *The furnace was generating heat and the gas meter was cycling away.

So...it would seem to me my problem is either in the pipe/hose to the main gas connection or in the valve that's outside the house. *How the heck something suddenly went wrong there is beyond me, but I can't think of anything else to check.

Can anyone think of something obvious I might be missing, or is it time to call the plumber?

Thanks.

Jane

Old 05-30-11, 04:07 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
The first thing to do is to trace the run of the gas piping from a known point of gas supply to the valve on the side of the house. In other words, if your gas supply comes from the meter and runs through the basement or crawlspace to the furnace and has a tee branching off to the outside valve you would know that you have gas at least to that tee. Follow the piping from the tee to the outside valve and you might find another valve inside that someone has closed.

Old 05-30-11, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I would just like to add to Furds suggestions below.

Where you unscrewed the gas at the locations you mentioned, were they quick disconnects? Or did you physically unscrew it and have a open pipe?

The quick disconnects are self closing when the hose is removed.

Also, what type of gas valve? Possibly the handle is just turning, and the stem is stripped.

Just giving you things to check.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: