Rotten Egg Smell from Water

Old 06-14-11, 07:38 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rotten Egg Smell from Water

My bathroom sink water sometimes smells like bad rotten egg when I turn it on in the morning. I am not using well water. Originally I thought it was from our new water heater that we repalced a few months ago, but I think the smell is with cold water also. We noticed the smell coming from the washing machine when my wife was washing clothes (the clothes did not smell when she took them out). She only washes with cold water. The smell is not everyday and goes away withing a few seconds of running the water. Any help would be apreciated.

Old 06-14-11, 09:22 AM
B
venting?

Could this be from a blocked or clogged sewer vent? thus allowing sewer gasses to back up into your drains?
If not...did you always have the problem or did it start with the new hot water heater? ( is this a Gas water heater ( rotten egg smell ))

Old 06-14-11, 09:43 AM
S
The problem did start some time after my gas water heater was installed. A rep at the water company told me to flush the sink drains with clorine bleach to disenfect the traps. I am not sure if this where the smell is coming from. I think it is coming from the supply lines not the drains but I will try this. I am not sure about the sewer vents. Are those on the roof of my house? I read something about sulfur that can cause this, but I don't have a well.

Old 06-14-11, 11:15 AM
B
PCV Venting

Normally in my area I see the PVC vent through the roof for the sewer vent.
I thought maybe your washing machine drain didn't have a trap installed and that you may have noticed it there?
It also could be something in the water supply line... IE ask your neighbors if they have also noticed anything like you are experiencing. or have the water tested.

Old 06-14-11, 07:56 PM
A few months ago, had a similar problem with my domestic well. Shocking the well with chlorine bleach didn't work, so I went looking and found a site that suggested setting the HW heater temp setting to 135+ degrees for 8 hrs to kill the bacteria causing the problem. I did it overnight to minimize usage and the opportunity for scalding someone. Next morning, I ran the overheated water through all the supply lines before returning the HW heater back down to normal. I was skeptical, but it worked!

Old 06-15-11, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Tldoug, it happens in my rental cabin when weekend renters are spaced out several weeks at a time. I pull the water filter, dump it and add about a cup of bleach, run the hot water without filter element until I smell chlorine. It works for extended stays, as it possibly clears up the bacteria short term and the constant use keeps it at bay.
I think I will try your method next time to see what happens. Sounds like it would work. I'll let you know..

Old 06-15-11, 06:58 AM
Chandler,
I try to avoid the chlorine smell test because that means I'm doing harm to my septic system. Regardless, I'm looking forward to hearing your results because I'm still thinking that it was a combination of the two - shocking and overheating - and knowing your results will help refine what I must do next time.

Old 06-15-11, 07:24 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you guys using Clorox for this? I don't think that would be safe to use in your water supply. It is more than just chlorine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: