RPZ valve repair

Old 06-15-11, 03:03 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RPZ valve repair

I just had my RPZ valve for the sprinkler system inspected as required by our area and the plumber said that I barely passed and would likely need a new valve next year. Are there kits available to repair these valves and if so, how difficult is it to install the kit?

Old 06-15-11, 03:25 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Most residential backflow prevention valves (and pressure reducing valves) have rebuild kits available but more often than not you won't find them anywhere but at a plumbing supply store. They are often only slightly less expensive than the whole valve assembly will be at a megamart homecenter and there is always the possibility that the main casting of the valve is damaged and a repair kit won't help.

For these reasons I always advise people to simply replace the entire valve assembly. Spending an hour tearing something apart and then putting it back together with new parts (or NOT being able to get it back together) and still having the same problem is extremely frustrating.

Old 06-17-11, 07:43 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Some of these are pretty expensive. If it were me, I'd try a rebuild kit before splurging $80-$120 on a new backflow preventer. I've purchased from sprinklerwarehouse.com before and they seem to have a pretty large inventory of repair kits. (I'm not affiliated with them at all, just had a few positive experiences).

(mods - I think I'm allowed to post a recommendation for a site as long as it's not an ad. If I'm wrong, feel free to edit appropriately)

Old 06-17-11, 09:20 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for this information. The plumber doing the inspection quoted me a price of $389 for a new valve installed. The installation is nothing, and I certianly will try the kit before I pay that kind of money. You are a big help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: