main drain pipe size

Old 06-24-11, 02:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
main drain pipe size

I have a 50 feet horizontal main drain pipe. A laundry machine, a kitchen sink with a dishwasher, 2 showers, 1 bathtub, and 2 bathroom sinks will be connected to the main drain. How big should the main drain pipe be?

Old 06-24-11, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Could a mod combine all of Cyzpro's post regarding pipeing?

Cyzpro,

You have three seperate posts regarding questions you could ask on one post. Its going to get very confusing. All your questions seem to be a issue your having of some sort.

Instead of wondering what plumbing code is, address your issue at hand. We could better answer then.

Mike NJ

How big should the main drain pipe be?

3"

Mike NJ
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-25-11, 01:06 PM
Im going to guess it depends on the code you fall under. The National Standard Plumbing Code allows twenty DFU's (Drainage Fixture Units) on a two inch line. Your total fixture load is only ten. A two inch line would work just fine where I am at.

Old 06-25-11, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
A two inch line would work just fine where I am at.
No toilets?

Mike NJ..............................

Old 06-26-11, 01:20 AM
C
Here is the complete info.
This house has a black water drain and gray water drain. Black water go to septic tank and gray water go to garden. This is rural area. This house's drain pipe was installed incorrectly years ago. It was a DIY project. The gray water drain has 60 feet of horizontal (literally) pipe. At some spot, gray water drain slope up about 1/4 inch. Both gray water and black water have no drain vent at all. I am trying to use existing drain pipe by readjusting the slope of the pipe and adding vents. I am trying to do everything in the crawl space so that I don't cut into the Sheetrock. I am on vacation and just helping a friend, so I prefer not cut into the wall.
Here is a web page for the drawing of pipes.
Untitled 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 06-29-11, 04:22 PM
C
where are the good locations for drain clean out cap?

Old 06-29-11, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
First off do you have venting issues> Is water siphoning ot of traps or the toilets?

The only thing I can think of it cut tees in the master bath, shower and sink. Put them on the vertical and tie them all together to one pipe. Drill a hole in the vanity floor and run this single line up as high as you can and put a studor vent.

That takes care of that baths gray water.

The washer drain if exposed, would get a tee cut in after the trap and a studor vent added, Pipe the vent a few ft above the washer.

That takes care of the kitchen and washer.

The shower and sink at the end get tie together like the master and a vent under the sink.

That takes care of all the grey water.

I have to think about adding the toilets to the vents that you tied together under the sinks. I guess you could.

Now. Check all codes in your area about using studor vents. You will have a total of three when your done.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. But like I said what issue are you having?

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: