Looking for alternate solution - PVC issue

Old 06-26-11, 01:29 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for alternate solution - PVC issue

Guys, I'm in a bit of a bind here. I've been chasing leaks in my pool plumbing all day. One of the issues I have is that the pipe that supplies the waterfall is busted in half at the 90 elbow where it goes up into the concrete. Basicall, all I can get to is about 3/4 of the elbow. The rest is up in the concrete. Obviously, I can go rent a small jackhammer and try to chip some of the concrete away from the fitting and see if I can expose enough pipe to put a new fitting onto.

Is there any type of compression fitting I can put on the exposed fitting that's there now then transition back to the PVC? As it stands now, I'm going to have to dig a huge hole to even be able to het in there to work and I don't know if I can even get any pipr exposed without ruining it.

I need another solution here. Any ideas?

Old 06-26-11, 02:46 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Google ram bit. They are size-specific and will cut the pipe from inside the fitting allowing a new pipe to be glued in same as the original. Cost is about $20 for a single size and you may be able to find one locally at an old time REAL hardware store or else a plumbing supply store. I've never seen one at a big box megamart homecenter but it's worth a shot.

Old 06-26-11, 03:08 PM
J
Googled the ram bit and it looks to me like it's for the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do. The elbow is broken in half. I would need to remove the busted elbow and be able to retain the pipe stubbing down out of the conrete.

I was thinking of trying to cut long ways along the coupling to see if I could maybe finnagle it off somehow. Otherwise, I was thinking of picking up some heater hose from the auto supply and maybe attaching it to the broken elbow with a couple of hose clamps. Obviously, that's not the "right way", but I wonder if it would hold?

Old 06-26-11, 05:30 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood the problem. I thought that the pipe was broken near to the elbow that was embedded in the concrete.

You could find some hose that would fit on the unbroken part of the elbow remaining and then on to another fitting. Hose clamps should hold just fine as there isn't a lot of pressure unless your waterfall is really high. Figure roughly 1/2 psi for every foot of elevation plus a little for the "push" to get it over the top.

Old 06-26-11, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Hi. Not sure if you can do anything with the ell, but there are inside fittings that glues in the pipe. Then you can transition to anything you want. If you can get the ell off clean on both ends you will be golden.

Guess the pool was not winterized properly? Texas? I know TX had freezing weather in some parts.

Mike NJ

Old 06-26-11, 08:43 PM
J
Guys, thanks for the replies. I was able to find another solution. I went dowm to Ace Hardware and found a rubber coupling that already had hose clamps on it. It was a 2" that fit perfectly around the elbow once I cut it. It was actually a reducer that went from 2" to 1 1/2". I was able to get just enough of it around the elbow to tightern it up real well. The I just stubbed a piece of 1 1/2 PVC out of it and put a new wlbow on and Voila! I was in the money.

lawrosa - I don't close my pool. Once the water gets doen into the 60's, it takes very little maintenance. Algae doesn't grow well in cold water.

Old 06-26-11, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
You did not tell us it was 2"...LOL I was visualizing 1" or something smaller. Plus the mis-communication was that you would have the hub of the ell left on the pipe...Uggg.

I dont know how much bite you got on that fernco fitting you bought, but I would prefer to cut the hub and use inside fittings that could be glued properly. Just my opinion.

Heck we have a short season here. I am still swiming when its in the 60's.

Mike NJ

Old 06-27-11, 07:01 AM
J
It's actually 1 1/2, but with the elbow, the 2" fit really well. I didn't get as much bite on it as I would have liked. If/when it fails again, I will look for the fittings you're talking about. That would definitely be a better solution. As it is, I was running out of daylight and needed to figure something out. The pool was down for almost a week and beginning to look pretty bad.

Man, 60's is too cold for me. My pool doesn't get that cold until about December. My pool is about 92 right now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: