Leaking new brass stop valve

Old 06-27-11, 10:39 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking new brass stop valve

Just replaced a section of plumbing that comes into my garage. Everything is okay except for a very slight leak around the stop valve. It looks like the one below:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

It seems it's not leaking from the hole, but more from below the nut where the round part is and there is a slight gap in the picture there. I know it's not leaking @ the solder marks....It's brand new so I guess it could theoretically be a defect from the start...but I tend to doubt it. Could I have gotten the fitting too hot and melted a washer or something? Easiest fix? It's the main cutoff from the street fwiw. If I need to take a picture I will later...

Old 06-27-11, 11:48 AM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I've added some labels to the picture of the valve. If it is leaking from where the stem enters the packing nut then simply tighten the packing nut an eighth turn at a time until it stops leaking.

If it is leaking at the joint between the bonnet and body then CAREFULLY tighten the bonnet to the body WHILE THE VALVE IS OPEN.

Old 06-27-11, 11:53 AM
P
hey thanks for the quick reply and illustration...much easier to describe with correct terminology .....yes it is leaking from where the bonnet seals to the body...I will try to carefully snug it up after work and report back.

thanks again

Old 06-27-11, 12:26 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
It IS possible that you overheated the body while soldering and damaged the gasket between the bonnet and body. I recommend taking this type of valve apart before soldering. Always have the valve partially open before disassembly and reassembly or you will damage it.

Old 06-27-11, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Just a note: I dont know what brand you bought but a company that made these, and a type of ball valve, had leaks at that location from the factory. They were more or less recalled and replaces at no charge. I will try to find the data on that.

Even though the name might not be the same as the brand that was defective, I think this company makes them for others and puts a different label on it.
I bet the barn it is an overseas product. I think it was premier....

Mike NJ

Old 06-27-11, 12:37 PM
P
oh wow, i'm really hoping I can fix it with a tighten...it'd be really difficult to unsweat off of there because like i say it's the supply line and to completely drain that line is damned near impossible. Thanks for the info and i'll check the manufacturer

Last edited by pwiddy; 06-27-11 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-27-11, 05:51 PM
P
well turns out it looks like i got lucky...about a 1/8 turn tighten and it snugged right up. Seems it was just jarred loose from the store. Duh, should've checked this before installing. thanks for the recommendations and advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: