Please help figure out drain hookup for new shop sink

Old 06-28-11, 12:01 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help figure out drain hookup for new shop sink

I'm putting (or hoping to put) in a sink next to the Washing machine. I can get my water supplies by cutting into the supply for the washing machine, but I'm not sure how to do my drain.

I took pictures to show what it looks like:

This one just shows where the sink and the washer are:

This one shows what I think is the toilet drain coming from upstairs, next to the area:

This one shows how the washing machine drains:

And this is the rest of that pipe work:

So, I'm not sure where to drain it too. I was thinking I could drain it where the washing machine drains, and let the washing machine drain into the sink, but I don't think drains can go up (can they?) and that is up higher than the sink.

Old 06-28-11, 01:24 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just a first question. Are you really planning on installing your sink on top of your sump pump?

Old 06-28-11, 01:31 PM
B
To be honest, I could and it wouldn't matter, I've been here for almost 10 years and that thing is always dry. Sometimes I kick on the pump just to make sure it still works.

But to answer your question, yes and no. I'm thinking of a 3-legged sink (no leg where the pump is) and if needed, attach it to the wall for extra support.

If that didn't work I'll put it right next to the water heater, which is where that drain in picture 2 is (toilet).

Old 06-28-11, 01:49 PM
B
Ok, new plan. I'm going to put it here:

And tap into the hot/cold above the water heater. Then I guess the only choice is to put a wye in where the washer drains, at the bottom, run it around the inside corner and over to the sink to drain....

Old 06-28-11, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Hi.

My suggestion is get a wall mount for the sink, mount it high enough to have pitch to where the washer is. And get rid of that washer trap mess I see. Repipe from that no hub in the last pic over to the sink. Drain the washer in the sink as you suggest would be correct.

If you pipe to the toilet line you will have code venting issues.

I would probably may my own 2x4 bracket and screw the sink to the wall.

Mike NJ

Old 06-28-11, 02:07 PM
B
Originally Posted by lawrosa View Post
Hi.

My suggestion is get a wall mount for the sink, mount it high enough to have pitch to where the washer is. And get rid of that washer trap mess I see. Repipe from that no hub in the last pic over to the sink. Drain the washer in the sink as you suggest would be correct.

If you pipe to the toilet line you will have code venting issues.

I would probably may my own 2x4 bracket and screw the sink to the wall.

Mike NJ

I like this idea, but the hard part is its all cement and I'm more of a wood type of guy, if you know what I mean.

About fixing the mess behind the washer, do I remove/relocate the trap, or do I just replace the mended parts with straight pvc?

Old 06-28-11, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
If you do as stated below you put the trap under the sink as high as you can and run a straight pipe from there to that no-hub in your last pic. Its the rubber piece with the two clams around it. Then drain the washer in the laundry sink.

Cement, wood, whatever... Screw it to the wall good if you cant use the legs so it can hold the weight of the water. Or raise the legs with blocks.

Mike NJ

Old 06-29-11, 08:56 AM
B
So here is what I ended up doing....you can see the first is right behind the washer and dryer, the second photo is how it turns the corner to the sink.

My question is about those 3 black pieces in photo 1. Do I need those? They are two mend kits and a check valve. One of the mend kits is leaking very slowly and I can't get it to stop. So, I can go to Lowes and see if I can get 2 new nohubs and a check valve to replace them all, or, I can put a straight PCV run there to the trap for the washer, assuming I don't need the check valve?

Old 06-29-11, 09:24 AM
B
Looks like those three pieces come together:

Shop ProPlumber 2" Sewage Pump Check Valve at Lowes.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: