Washer/Laundry Tub plumbing.

Old 06-28-11, 02:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Washer/Laundry Tub plumbing.

I currently have a laundry tub set up in my basement laundry room. The previous owners just drained the washer directly into the laundry tub. I am looking for a cleaner, more finished look. Next to the sink drain, there are two older drains that have been capped. I am new to plumbing, so I am looking for the easiest method for a beginner(If possible) Would the best method be to tee off the sink drain and use the same drain for both. Or could I open up one of the older drains, install a stand pipe from the drain, which would then go in between the studs and up to one of those recessed laundry boxes? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Ryan

Old 06-28-11, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Hi.

It depends on what goes into those capped lines. Venting is always an issue. Wheer does the sink drain tie into now?

Pics always help.

Mike NJ

Old 06-28-11, 08:13 PM
R
The only plumbing in this room is the sink drain, the 2 capped drains, and a standard floor drain in the middle of the room. All of the plumbing goes under the concrete slab so I don't know exactly where it might hook up to. There is a stack of plumbing not too far away from this room that goes from floor to ceiling and branches onto the main floor. Here are some pics of the drains...

Old 06-28-11, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
Hi.

I am certain those two caps in the floor is a whole house trap. Pretty much dont touch it. Thats where you will most likely get a clogg if you put the wrong things down your drains. That is old plumbing but some towns still require them. Some let you remove them. You can hook nothing to those caps.

Now that I see you could use that sink drain for both. But you will need to get a vent up through the roof or tie into a vent 3 ft above the highest fixture in the home. ( On the same stack if you have more then one. ) This is code. You are grandfathered in I am sure at the moment.

You see once you start altering things you open a can of worms with old plumbing.

Heres what a whole house trap looks like.

Mike NJ

Old 06-28-11, 09:27 PM
R
Sounds way beyond my expertise and rather pricey. Looks like I'll just have to hook it up to drain straight into the laundry tub. Thanks again Mike. You're always very helpful!

Old 06-28-11, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
And technically that current drain for the sink should be vented. At least find out if you can use a studor vent in your township.

Mike NJ

Old 06-29-11, 06:58 AM
R
According to Studors website, they are approved by the International Plumbing Code here in Michigan. And on my cities website they say they follow the IPC for plumbing standards. So it looks like they are allowed. I sent out an email to a guy from the building department just to confirm. Would this be an easier way to accomplish what I need to get done?

Old 06-29-11, 06:39 PM
R
Got a response to my email and they are indeed allowed in my city.

Old 06-29-11, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Good... I dont think they can be concealed in a wall though.

Mike NJ

Old 06-29-11, 07:13 PM
R
I do plan to have some cabinets installed under and next to the laundry sink so I could always conceal the vents under there.

Old 06-29-11, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Also should be above the flood plane of the fixture. I really have to read to code again on them though. I am just stating what I remember.

mIKE nj

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: