How to deal with a cracked locknut that you can't replace

Old 06-28-11, 05:31 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: US
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to deal with a cracked locknut that you can't replace

One of the locknuts on the p-trap to the bathroom sink is cracked and leaking. I can't replace it because the other end was glued in place--not by me. (Who knows, maybe it was leaking too.) I've tried using a small vise but that doesn't work.

Does anyone have other ideas?

Old 06-28-11, 05:47 PM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 10,094
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

It sounds like you would need to cut the pipe between the wall/floor and the p-trap and replace the whole section.
You really have no other choice with glued fittings.
Old 06-30-11, 11:55 AM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: San Diego Ca. USA
Posts: 1,040
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, I would cut the glue joint out leaving as much pipe left as possible. Measure the stub out left, the inside and outside. The inside is probably 1 1/2 or 2 inches. Go to a big box or plumbing store and buy a 1 1/2 inch P trap drain kit. You then buy a rubber adapter That fit your P trap kit and your stub out 1 1/2 or 2 Inches. Before you leave the store make sure the adapter fit the pipe you have, try it on the same size and type in the store. Saves a trip.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: