Sewer pipe replacement

Old 07-02-11, 07:49 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewer pipe replacement

I have an old clay sewer pipe that I've had to snake over & over and have pulled out roots and dirt. I decided to replace the pipe and have started digging up the pipe myself. My neighbor had his replaced and told me that the pipe connects to the sewer around 10 feet under the city street. He also said that even though the line is under city property I am still responsible for replacing the line. I can handle digging under my sidewalk but digging under the city streets would mean I've probably lost my mind. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-11, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
From my understanding, you need permits to dig in the street. Most cases I know is you higher a contractor and they need to be bonded for several millions of dollars. Its a liability.

Also any sewer replacement needs to be inspected, where permits are taken out. You need a mark out before you start digging also.

I know codes are different everywhere but most follow standard plumbing codes that are universal more or less.

I would follow all codes in your area. You can get fined big time.

Mike NJ

Old 07-02-11, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You'll need to probably contact the city and find out whats needed, but most likely you will need a Plumber to come in and do the work under the street...yes, it needs to be cut out, excavated, connected, refilled and repaved. $$$$

You might want to just do it to the edge of your property and use an appropriate connection between old and new.

Old 07-02-11, 12:30 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, I will stop at the property line if that's possible. If not I'll get a contractor to do the rest. Thanks!

Old 07-02-11, 04:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
In my town a permit is needed and you are only responsible for going as far as the edge of the property which usually means stopping about 5-10 feet from the edge of the street. You can do the work yourself but you do need the permit and subsequent inspection. There is a fee for the permit and the inspection is pretty painless. Just talk to the inspectors and plainly ask them what they want to see. Usually it's simple like 3" or 4" minimum pipe size, purple primer must be visible at the joints of PVC piping and a proper connection must be made to the cities pipe. Usually you can put dirt over the pipe in spots to hold it in place but the area must remain open until you get inspected and approved. If you bury it before the inspection they may make you dig it back up.

The permit to do the work only covers you and the work on your property. Generally it does not notify the city sewer dept of the work so I call and see if they (the city) wants to replace their section of line while I have my trench dug. Sometimes they say yes but usually it's a "no". So, when you do your line it's a good idea to install a clean out at the edge of your property where it meets the cities responsibility. If there is a clog in the future it's very easy to open the clean out and verify if the problem is on your property (your responsibility) or on the cities side and their responsibility.

Old 07-02-11, 07:35 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
In addition to the permit BEFORE work commences and inspections before it is covered, many municipalities will fine a person who commences the work prior to obtaining a permit. Some areas consider each and every day to be a separate violation and will assess penalties accordingly. Often the penalty is three times the cost of the permit.

It's pretty hard to hide something that you are doing outside so if you had thought about doing the work on the sly you may want to reconsider. Inspectors often work weekends just looking for unpermitted work and you can never be sure of anyone that drives by, or even your neighbors, reporting your work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: