Running a lateral to a catch basin.

Old 07-04-11, 09:28 AM
D
DLH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running a lateral to a catch basin.

I'm having a catch basin installed in a corner of my yard where I'm getting water from three neighbors. Since the catch basin alone is going to cost me $7400, I would like to save some money by installing a lateral myself to carry water from my down spouts to the catch basin. I live near Milwaukee Wisconsin. Do I have to worry about going below the frost line, if so how deep would that be?

I read in another thread that a person cannot do something, like direct water to someone else’s property, and cause damage. I've gone to city hall a number of times and was always told that what the neighbors do when they landscape is their business and the city will do nothing about it and the fact that my driveway is sinking in spots and my garage gets flooded is my problem. I know, someone is going do say, why the catch basin. Just redirect the water. Believe me I wish I could but there are no options.

DLH

Old 07-04-11, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Hi.

I think you have a case if your neighbors altered thier landscape and the natural flow of water changed. You need to prove this.

If not and its the natural flow of water then yes you would need to do something to fix it. Be careful. If you alter the water to thier property somehow, then you become liable. Make sure you do it right and take lots of pics.

Water Damage and Neighbor Disputes - Real Estate

Mike NJ

Old 07-04-11, 01:52 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
When you write that you are having a catch basin installed I assume that the catch basin will be piped to a municipal storm sewer, correct? If not, then where will the water go that is "caught"?

The "lateral" from your downspout to the catch basin does not need to be buried below the frost line because it will be open to the air on both ends and air WILL pass through it. It DOES need to be continuously pitched to drain to the catch basin. A slope of 1/4 inch per foot of run is the minimum I would use.

As for the issue of water running from your neighbor's yard...you need to speak with an attorney familiar with land practices in your area. Many attorneys offer limited consultations, 15-30 minutes for very low cost or free.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: