stainless steel flexible water hose leak

Old 01-03-01, 12:42 AM
Visiting Guest
The cold water flexible water hose on my kitchen sink
has a leak at the wingnut.
The water slowly seeps out of the hose end of the nut.
Not at the connection to the water pipe.
Have disconnected it. Dried it and wrapped connection
with teflon tape and reinstalled. It continues to leak.
The entire sink with it's plumbing was newly installed
one year ago.

Any suggestions on how to repair this leak.

Old 01-03-01, 07:35 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, I have never seen one with a wing nut. Second, this should be a compression fitting, which means it needs to be tight, i.e. tighter than you could tighten a wing nut by hand. Third, since it is a compression fitting, teflon tape only prevents getting a good compression seal.

I would remove the tape, tighten with a Crescent Wrench, and if it still leaks, replace the flex pipe.

Good Luck,

Rick

Old 01-03-01, 07:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The "wingnut" that you're talking about is the connector that comes with some of the newer faucets. I've seen then lots of times! They are fine in themselves, but a little difficult to turn tightly when they're buried back behind a kitchen sink.
Your problem sounds like there is a bad flex line or worse case a "cut" or flaw in the mating surface of the faucet. They use a "cone/socket" where the "wingnut" forces the "cone" of the supply line into the "socket" of the faucet. First thing would be to just replace the supply line. If you're codes allow it I perfer the plastic over copper or chrome. I've been using them for 25 years and never had one leak or corrode. Not a big fan of the newer "redi-made" lines with the white "braided" plastic lines with the chrome fittings with rubber washers. Tried them for a while and found too many times leaking!

Old 01-03-01, 12:28 PM
Visiting Guest
I am not a plumber atleast I would not say I was. But I must differ with your opinion on the reddi-made connections--yes the braided plastic is junk--but the braided SS are the best. The chrome and plastic compreesion type are fine--but most DIY either kink the chrome ones or use brass comp sleeves with the plastic line and wonder why they leak. Spend the extra for the "reddi-made" SS braided hook-ups and be done with it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: