water line to frig

Old 07-10-11, 11:10 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water line to frig

New frig on the way, I have a copper tube from under sink to spot for frig then plastic tube connecting water to old frig. should I replace copper tubing has to be a min. 15-20yrs old with a braided stainless steel hose? or just leave as is? If leaving copper tubing any advantage of using braided hose from copper to frig? I need to replace the the plastic tube anyway and braided stainless is only a few $ extra.
Also I need to replace cut off under sink as it does not shut off water.
Thank you

Old 07-10-11, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I would keep it copper all the way from valve to fridge. Replace with new copper if you can. Plastic and that rubber braided line promotes bacteria.

Also the valve under the sink needs to be a full port 1/4" valve. Not a saddle valve. The new fridge could be damaged if one is not installed.

Mike NJ

Old 07-10-11, 02:57 PM
S
Thank you. I will try to run new copper tubing. I use the braided stainless on my sinks should I change them out?

Old 07-10-11, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I use the braided lines (some are only polyester..not real stainless, you can pretty much tell by the feel) on everything I can. The possibility of some sort of growth is much less than the possibility of a burst plastic line, esp on things that are controlled by fast shutting valves (like icemakers, dishwashers, clothes washers and toilets).

The problem with copper all the way is, you need to buy enough to leave a coil behind the fridge so you can pull it out for maintenance. How about copper ...then a fridge icemaker box in the wall with a cutoff valve and SS flex to the fridge? The box and c/o valve are pretty cheap.

Old 07-10-11, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
All I will say further on this is that copper has anti-bacterial properties. This is why it is widely used in water delivery.

The flexible braided lines are simply a rubber hose with a vinyl or SS covering to reduce the chance for the line to burst.

All lines plastic that are anything other then copper need a NSF/ANSI Standard 61 rating.

Mike NJ

Old 07-10-11, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Agreed Mike! Thats why I like the copper then shift to flex. Unfortunately I have no clue about how everything is now being plumbed with PEX. Does PEX have any anti-xxx properties? Hopefully the water has been treated to prevent any nasties. And infrequently used fixtures could still be an issue?

Old 07-10-11, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
I dont know. Its like the guy telling the drunk to quit drinking. " Its going to kill you"..... He tells the drunk this with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. LOL

Or like the EPA says chlorine in your drinking water at a certain level is OK. Its not OK really but chloronating the water out weighs the risk of not chloronating your water.

So what is the NSF/ANSI Standard 61 rating. Well waterever is in plastic pipe that gets in your water is measurable and like chlorine is allowed.

Or copper pipes could leach and cause gastrointestinal disease and liver or kidney damage.

Or so many bug parts in your can of tuna is OK....

Its a big debate really. And its the same with many areas. Eggs are bad. Then eggs are good. Coffee is bad. But wait new study says its good. Hmmm.

Basically we all got to go sooner or later.. Eat right, be happy, live life, and enjoy yourselves.

Mike NJ

Old 07-10-11, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Good points...

Eggs...yumm...bacon....yumm+++. Tuna with all sorts of bad for me things...yumm also.

I'll go when I go...but I don't want to go fixing plumbing...lol.

Off subject...but my wife runs, works out, eats light..all sorts of healthy stuff....my general health checkup says I'm better off than her...but I could lose 20 lbs.

Old 07-10-11, 06:52 PM
S
So basically it's a matter of opinion, yesterday that was bad, today it's good, tomorrow it's banned. Now I'm really confused. I will leave copper line from water source, then attach frig with a)copper b)braided stainless steel or how about c) poly-flex tube?

Old 07-10-11, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
The copper should attach to water ever connection the refridge has. If you stay copper coil it so you can pull the refridge out.

Plastic or flex just leave it long enough.

Plastic breaks and gets brittle. I see more leaks and also algae in the plastic lines. But you cant see in the other types of lines.

What is your water source well or municipal?

A well I would use plastic. PH issues usually. Municipal I would prefer copper.

I think you have another post similar regarding your DW. Its a DW and your not drinking the water from there. Copper is a PITA to install. ( Because 5/8's ) I like the braided flex for the DW.

Mike NJ.

Old 07-10-11, 07:59 PM
S
Mike,

Water supply is municipal so I will use copper coil and braided for dishwasher.
I really appreciate your help. Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: