Water in bowl splashes back at end of flush

Old 07-21-11, 02:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in bowl splashes back at end of flush

About a month ago the toilet at my office started to bubble and splash water back from the bottom of the bowl just as the flush was done. The water goes down and it acts normal until the last second, then it acts like a bubble of trapped air pops out from the bottom of the toilet. My grandkids (ages 5 and 2) are here in the office from time to time so I figured they dropped something down it. I removed the toilet (it is fastened to a concrete slab) to check for obstacles. I didn't see anything in the top part of the drain and I didn't see anything in the toilet. I put a new wax ring on and reinstalled the toilet, and guess what, it still does the same thing. Anyone have a suggestion. The office is in a small rural industrial park and our sewer drain goes back 3 acres to the main. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-21-11, 02:46 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My guess is that the vent pipe is restricted. Sounds like it is gulping some air when it flushes and then "belching" it back.
Check back a little later when the pros get on for a better answer.

Old 07-21-11, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Hi,

Its most likely not vent related.

You pulled the toilet and nothing was there, but if there is an obstruction it may be in the trap portion of the toilet.

A good way to test if there is something in the toilet, and if its large enough, is to put alot of toilet paper in there and flush. If the toilet kind of cloggs then you know something is in there.

Get a toilet auger and run it through a couple times.

Another issue is you may have a partial blockage just past the toilet elbow. The waste hits this blockage and the water comes back towards the toilet. A auger will not reach that area. You would need to pull the toilet and snake it.

Let us know.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: