How Can I Break Loose This Fitting?

Old 07-22-11, 10:32 AM
P
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How Can I Break Loose This Fitting?

I have an old tabletop barbeque. The regulator that came with it doesn't work any more. The regulator outlet is threaded on the inside. A fitting containing the orifice screws into the regulator and into the burner. Looks like this:

OLD REGULATOR
So I bought a new regulator (shown below) that is identical to the old except the outlet fitting is a quick-disconnect type. It is also screwed into the regulator but has new, fresh putty or some other sealer on it. I want to use the fitting from the old regulator in the new one but the new fitting will not budge.

What can I do to allow me to remove the fitting from the new regulator? Heat? I'm afraid of melting the housing (pot metal) or overheating the rubber diaphragm inside.

NEW REGULATOR

Last edited by Pipsisiwah; 07-22-11 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Add image
Old 07-22-11, 12:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't say for sure on propane but often flammable gas fittings are reverse threaded. Have you tried loosening it clockwise. I may be wrong on this so don't try too hard or wait for the pros to reply.

Old 07-22-11, 09:42 PM
P
Hi Ray,

The brass fitting shown in the old regulator screwed out in the normal direction, but I suppose that doesn't say anything about the new regulator. I did heat the new one with a 1000-watt blower but the quick-disconnect fitting didn't budge. At all. But it did distort ever-so-slightly such that the orifice won't screw back in. : (

Tomorrow I'll try unscrewing it in the other direction.

Old 07-22-11, 10:10 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I can't see the end but from this angle it looks like the "fitting" is machined from the regulator body.

Old 07-25-11, 10:19 PM
P
Yeah, that's exactly what I suspected. However, the tech rep at the company that makes these things wrote that the housing is threaded. And when I looked closely at the "fitting"/housing joint, it did appear to have some sort of pipe dope on it.

I did find a regulator that appears to be an exact replacement for mine and I'm expecting it any day now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: