Is this the right seal for this sink drain pipe?

Old 07-23-11, 06:39 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this the right seal for this sink drain pipe?

I took this drain pipe off to clean a slow draining bathroom sink. When I put it back it leaked so I took it off and didn't see any gasket on it. Got this 1 1/2" cone shaped seal at HD but the package said for plastic pipe and it seems too small to fit this pipe. What is right seal for this?

Old 07-23-11, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Hi.

Nothing goes on the side with the nut. It has a built in washer there. Clean that rounded part up and the side it attaches to. Put some teflon past around the threads and that rounded part.

The other end hets that washer. A nut should slip on the tail piece coming down from the sink, then that washer with the tapered side down towards the trap. Same thing with the paste.

Sometimes the tailpiece coming off the sink is 1 1/4. They make a washer similiar to whats in your pic but it fits tight over the tail piece coming down from the sink drain. 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 tailpiece washer.

Mike NJ

Old 07-23-11, 08:58 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK, after puting it back and taking it out 4 or 5 times I found a hairline crack in the pipe causing it to leak. Do they still make this style with the cone on one end?

Old 07-23-11, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Yes most traps I know have the cone.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: