Shower mixing valve problem?

Old 07-26-11, 04:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower mixing valve problem?

Hi,
My upstairs shower has a single rotary mixing valve that was supposedly replaced a few years back. The problem I'm having is that there is no warm position. It turns on to cold and when you turn a little further, instead of getting just warm, it goes to scalding hot immediately. I've had to turn down the temperature on my water heater just so no one gets scalded but now I don't have hot water for the house. Is there an adjustment for the valve or does it have to be replaced? I was told by the previous owner that the problem has been ongoing since he replaced the valve. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Mike

Old 07-26-11, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Hi,

Most likely its the cartridge. The are pressure balanced and the mechanism internally fails. This is common.

What is the brand? There shoud be a name, or symbol on the faceplate or handle.

Mike NJ

Old 07-26-11, 05:59 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeep guy View Post
Hi,
I was told by the previous owner that the problem has been ongoing since he replaced the valve.
Could be he installed the cartridge wrong or used the wrong one for that valve. I would shut off the water and take it apart, see if you can determine if this is the case.

Like Lawrosa said, figure out what type of valve it is first. You could buy a replacement cartridge and have it on hand, if you don't need it, take it back. If you do, you will have it there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: