leaking pipe above hot water heater (with pics)

Old 07-29-11, 11:16 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking pipe above hot water heater (with pics)

Unfortunately I do not know much about plumbing and appreciate any guidance I can get. These pipes are about 9 years old and this is in the hot water closet above the hot water heater. The water appears to be coming from where the brass/copper screw goes straight into the black thing - it is seeping out like a washer or a seal broke in there.

The pipes come out of the wall, down, into this black thing, then back down and back into the wall:

http://i51.************/2ic9xe8.jpg
http://i56.************/2i05eh4.jpg
http://i54.************/2vb0ljd.jpg
http://i52.************/jgr5l3.jpg

(these pictures are all hosted at tinypic)

The water is a slow, steady drip. I checked the meter in the front yard and it's not moving at all. It seems like a washer or a seal inside this black thing (what's it called?) malfunctioned or something and is allowing the water to seep out.

The water is warm and the drip is very steady and consistent.

I guess my question is: Is this something I can fix and since this is hot water - I assume the water is shut off valve is somehwere around the hot water heater or around this pipe?

The pipe has me confused because it comes out of the wall and back into it - it doesn't interact with the hot water heater in any way inside the hot water heater closet.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Old 07-30-11, 12:44 AM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
This forum doesn't allow tinypic so please use a different photo hosting site.

Old 07-30-11, 02:31 AM
T
thanks for the heads up. you can click the pictures to see a bigger view. I think it is some sort of valve but not sure if they can be opened or what the best course of action is

Old 07-30-11, 07:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! It is your pressure regulating valve. It takes high pressure from your municipality and reduces it to about 60 psi so it won't mess up your appliances and piping. It is replaceable, and you should do that since it is leaking past your diaphragm. More adept plumbers may be able to repair the unit, but for $15 change it out and reset the pressure to where you need it.
Note there is a union below the unit. That will allow you to remove it and replace a new one. Try to get the same brand and model number (they don't change much) and pipe size. Pick up up a hose bib pressure gauge while you are at it, so you can adjust the new PRV to about 60 psi.

Old 07-30-11, 11:17 AM
T
Chandler, thanks for the reply.

Would the model # and type of valve be written on the valve somewhere bc I can't seem to find it.

Old 07-30-11, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Hi.

You probably will not find the exact valve. Your going to have to do alittle plumbing pipe work for a new unit. Get someone that can solder if you dont know how. This is the product you need. You can get at any plumbing sully house.

0069717 - Watts 0069717 - 3/4" 25AUB-Z3 Pressure Reducing Valve (Threaded F Union Inlet x NPT Threaded F Outlet)

Also because you have this you shoul think about installing a thermal expansion tank at the water heater if you do not have one already. If you do have one its good to check the air in it while you have the house water off.

140N43 - Amtrol 140N43 - THERM-X-TROL ST-5 Expansion Tank

Let us know.

Mike NJ

Old 07-30-11, 04:07 PM
D
Please note that the thermal expansion tank is for potable water. They make these for boiler systems as well and you don't want to use one of those.

Old 07-31-11, 07:31 PM
Received 172 Upvotes on 155 Posts
for $15 change it out and reset the pressure to where you need it.
Chandler, where can you buy a pressure reducing valve for $15? The last one I bought was around $55.

Old 07-31-11, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Chandler, where can you buy a pressure reducing valve for $15? The last one I bought was around $55
I think he is talking about the price difference from a rebuild kit to a new unit is about $15 bucks.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: