Pipe question

Old 08-01-11, 01:59 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pipe question

Hello all,

First time in the group, and first time posting.

This is probably a very basic question, but I'm completely useless at home maintenance, so I thought I'd turn here for any answers to this question.
I'm planning on going away on vacation for a month, and I'm thinking of turning off the main water pipe into my home. I'm thinking of doing this because I've had problems with faucets leaking, and while I've fixed the ones that have already been leaking, I'm worried if one will start leaking while I'm away.
Are there any negative issues about turning off the main pipe for a month?

Again, sorry if this is a very basic question, but I'm completely useless with regards to stuff like this.

Thanks for any answers!

Cheers,

PB

Old 08-01-11, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
PB welcome to the forums. I would think you somewhat not together if you DIDN'T turn off the water when you left. I can't emphasize that enough to my part time resident clients. HOWEVER, don't forget to turn off the power/gas to the water heater(s), including any Point of use water heaters.
What you don't want to come home to is a broken pipe inside your living space. Leaking faucet, no biggie, but a broken pipe will make for a sad return. Enjoy your vacation without the worry of water problems.
OOps, I just saw you are from Italy....not that it may matter, but make sure turning off the water doesn't affect another building. I am not familiar with codes there and what is, and isn't allowed in buildings.

Old 08-01-11, 09:38 AM
P
Thanks for the welcome Chandler, and thanks for answering my question.

If I may impose with one more question, you mention turning off my water heater, which I planned to do, but you specifically mention "point of use water heaters". Just what is that? In my house, I have a master switch that I use to turn on and off the hot water. Is this the same thing you are talking about?
Again, sorry if these questions seem foolish or basic to you (or anyone), but I am entirely lost when it comes to things like this.

Thanks and cheers!

PB

Old 08-01-11, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Point of use heaters would be the small ones that are sometimes installed under a sink to provide instant hot water.

I'd like to add that even with the water turned off...if the main valve leaks by, pressure could still build and cause a very small slow leak. Valves that haven't been operated recently very often do not seal well. Good enough for repairs...but there is a small chance it could cause an issue while you are away. You could avoid that by slightly opening a cold water faucet to just a drip. Preferably the one located highest it the house that way the entire system won't drain.

Old 08-01-11, 09:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Some people have multiple water heaters - the big tank in the utility room plus smaller 'point of us' heaters at distant faucets. You would probably know if you had them so I wouldn't worry about them.

I'm with Chandler, the water and water heater get turned off when I leave.

Dang, Vic was faster than me....

Old 08-01-11, 02:23 PM
P
Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated!

If I can ask Gunguy45 a question...you recommend opening a faucet to allow the water not to back up....would you do that in addition to turning off the main water pipe, or in place of turning off the pipe?

Cheers!

PB

Old 08-01-11, 02:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
In addition to turning off the main water supply valve - this is an extra safeguard in case your main valve still leaks a little water when closed.

Old 08-01-11, 02:55 PM
P
Cheers Mitch17! Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: