Fill valve thread...

Old 08-08-11, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Fill valve thread...

Is a toilet fill valve thread the same as a garden hose bib thread? Need to check actual pressure at a toilet at a business (my wife sucked me into helping the owner)...and my pressure gauge is for screwing on to a hose bib. Think I have a double male hose thread somewhere

Also...can anyone give me some basics on replacing the Sloan Flushmate pressure tank(?) on a Mansfield 2 piece toilet? Any gotcha or special tools needed? Just pull the tank (hmmm..where are the bolts accessible anyway...not under the pressure tank I hope?) unscrew the fill and flush valve nuts and replace it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-11, 02:52 AM
Sloan Flushmate

Gunny,
After releasing the pressure from the tank, remove the nuts from the bolts under top side of the bowl. If the bolts start spinning, cut it with a hacksaw blade, disconnect suppy line and lift out to expose bottom. The replacement tank comes with its own type tank to bowl kit, the rubber seat is bigger than conventional toilets. A plumbing specialty store should be able to get the correct type of pressure tank for Mansfield. I also remove this plastic with 0-ring under the screen of the upper supply line, it collects rubbish too quickly and reduces the ability to build pressure in the tank. Remove the big plastic nut under the tank and small one to upper supply line then pull pressure tank out. The tank upper supply usually goes down the side of the pressure tank for larger tanks and attached under pressure tank for smaller tanks, but the nuts under tank just remove and pull out...

For the pressure test, I know they have brass adapters to attach to the supply line.

Old 08-20-11, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh..thanks for the info...I already replaced it earlier in the week. No real big deal. One holddown bolt loosened up slightly, but I was able to wedge it with a screwdriver and get the nut off.

btw....Sloan was great...they were just w/in the new lifetime tank warranty and they sent me a whole new assy since the seam on the tank had split. FOR FREE. Owner was very pleased that she wasn't going to be forking out $150 or so. No hassle about it not being registered before or that I wasn't a plumber. Got it 4 working days after I called.