Tub Overflow Question

Old 08-12-11, 01:37 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Tub Overflow Question

I removed the overflow cover and both screws were rusted out and snapped off. I am letting some penetrating oil sit for a day in hopes of being able to unscrew the stubs that remain in the brass overflow body. Probably a 2% chance. I don't care about re-installing the stopper assembly, but do want a cover for the overflow. I am capable of drilling out the old screws and re-tapping the brass, but that is a lot of painstaking work. Has anyone out there seen a cover that might snap into the overflow rather than requiring screws?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-11, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
The screws pull the overflow towards the tub seal the gasket. If not when the tub fills up or water sprayed on the overflow could potentially leak down behind the tude.

My advice is try to get them out or drill and tap new holes. Or if all else fails replace the whole waste and overflow. then you can change the stopper to the tip toe design if you like.

Mike NJ

Old 08-12-11, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If/When you get the holes drilled out, you can install long self taping screws into them. Saves you a little time and because of the course threads, they seem to come out easier the next time around. Like Lawrosa said, you need to have that seal there, so make sure there is a foam rubber gasket inbetween the tub and overflow pipe. Many times this will fall down while you are working on the overflow. Without the seal you risk water leaking out the tub and onto the floor under tub.

Old 08-13-11, 01:09 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks Guys

I hadn't considered the sealing requirement. There is always a smarter plumber on here than I am. I'll try the drilling and re-tapping and put a stainless screws in as replacements.