Above ground pipe insulation in freezing climate?

Old 08-13-11, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Above ground pipe insulation in freezing climate?

I live in Ohio where water lines are recommended to be buried 3 feet below grade to prevent freezing. I want to run a water line 500 feet to my new building. The problem I am having is crossing a small brook. I can easily bury all but this crossing to the recommended 3 feet below grade. I would like to bury up to the edge of the brook, lay a 24 inch culvert for the brook to run through, then run my water line across the top of the culvert and bury the line 3 feet deep again on the other side. This would leave me with a 10 foot section of line unprotected from freezing. is there some kind or amount of insulation I can put on the line that would be the same as running the line through the earth? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-11, 03:39 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Ten feet doesn't sound like much of a brook. If it's a real brook, be sure you have all of the approvals.

But going over the brook is a real problem. The earth doesn't only insulate, it provides a source of heat, without which freezing is almost a certainty. If you add heat in some form, then some insulation can do its job. For ground source heat pumps, they make an insulated pipe, often 2 pipes inside one larger pipe and filled with foam. They look like they would be simple enough to build. Where your culvert is crossing the brook, could you use a decorative foot bridge and hide the insulated pipe underneath?

Can you run some electric out there while you are burying the water line?

Bud