250 gallon Propane Tank Pressure Regulator Setting

Old 08-13-11, 06:45 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
250 gallon Propane Tank Pressure Regulator Setting

When I filled my 18 year old 250 gal tank to 80% this summer it began to vent through the tank vent in the heat of the day. This occurred four or five times. The propane supplier came out and declared it's doing what it is supposed to do. Today it's 78 degrees with no sun and I can see vapor, hear and feel it venting from a grilled half inch vent on the regulator itself. Could I possibly bypass the regulator and go through my travel trailer regulator or gas grill regulator until the supplier comes for repair? I don't know what the pressure setting should be.

Old 08-13-11, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hi,

I believe the regulaters have the same W.C. ( pressure ) 12" WC. But the regulator may be different size and can only supply a certain BTU.

What size inlet and outlets on the 250? What size in and out on the trailer/grill.

Whats it say on the 250 tank reg and compare it to the trailer or grill reg.

I could be all wrong though.

Let us know.

Mike NJ

Old 08-13-11, 09:32 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I don't know about your specific installation but in my area large propane tanks usually have a primary regulator set at 10 psi output pressure and then secondary regulators at the point-of-use set for 11 inches water column output pressure.

Old 08-13-11, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You have to be careful.
Although a simple regulator is not rocket science in most areas you technically need to be licensed to work on them.

At the very least you might want to get advice on what you should do from your supplier who normally would have a licensed fitter on staff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: