Is HPDE the way to go for a long service entrance run?


Old 08-13-11, 03:41 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is HPDE the way to go for a long service entrance run?

Hi, im building a barn out on my property and I need to find the best way to get water from the road out to the barn. Its about 700ft from the county water main to the barn its self. Would HDPE be the way to go? Id like to get something that will come in long rolls so I have to make as few splices as possible. I looked at PEX too, but I think that will be too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-11, 04:25 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,485
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
I assume you meant to write HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) instead of HPDE.

Yes, this is an acceptable material. Be sure that when you bury it you have a layer of sand all around the pipe and that there are no large rocks that can "work" their way through the sand to eventually damage the pipe. Stainless steel barbed connections are better than the galvanized steel which are better than the plastic fittings.
Old 08-17-11, 05:11 PM
NJT's Avatar
NJT is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 23,539
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check water well supply houses... I think they use Schedule 80 on downpipes and runs from the well to the house. Very thick walled. Don't skimp on the size of the pipe, there are limits to the GPM and velocity of the flow. 700 ft is a long distance, so you would probably want to go at least 1-1/4 but I'm betting 1-1/2 might be a better choice.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: