Is HPDE the way to go for a long service entrance run?

Old 08-13-11, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is HPDE the way to go for a long service entrance run?

Hi, im building a barn out on my property and I need to find the best way to get water from the road out to the barn. Its about 700ft from the county water main to the barn its self. Would HDPE be the way to go? Id like to get something that will come in long rolls so I have to make as few splices as possible. I looked at PEX too, but I think that will be too expensive.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-11, 04:25 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
I assume you meant to write HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) instead of HPDE.

Yes, this is an acceptable material. Be sure that when you bury it you have a layer of sand all around the pipe and that there are no large rocks that can "work" their way through the sand to eventually damage the pipe. Stainless steel barbed connections are better than the galvanized steel which are better than the plastic fittings.

Old 08-17-11, 05:11 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check water well supply houses... I think they use Schedule 80 on downpipes and runs from the well to the house. Very thick walled. Don't skimp on the size of the pipe, there are limits to the GPM and velocity of the flow. 700 ft is a long distance, so you would probably want to go at least 1-1/4 but I'm betting 1-1/2 might be a better choice.