Type of pipe material.

Old 01-05-01, 01:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a galvanized hot water line in my attic that developed a leak which I patched with a piece of heater hose and hose clamps back in the summer. Now that the weather has cooled off I want to do the right repair. I know that there is a lot of sand and other junk in our water because I am constantly cleaning out the screens on the faucets. Does this mean that I will need to go with copper instead of cpvc when I replace that line. Copper would be more expensive and not quite as easy to replace as cpvc but I don't know of all the reasons why you should use copper rather than cpvc. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-01, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If your local code allows it, use the cpvc, if you want.
Just cut the bad galvanized piece in half, unscrew both ends, and screw cpvc threaded fittings into the galvanized (use 2-3 wraps of teflon tape CLOCKWISE ONLY on the threads).
Then just glue your cpvc into the two fittings.
You can do the same with copper, but you will have to sweat the pipe into the two fittings of course.
The reason that you may want to use copper instead of cpvc is that won't freeze/burst as easily as cpvc in an unheated attic. Your call.
Good Luck!

Old 01-05-01, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you use copper between, or off from galvinized piping, make sure you put in di-electric unions.

Plumber2000

[Edited by Plumber2000 on 01-05-01 at 11:28]