Sewage Leak Problem

Old 08-25-11, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewage Leak Problem

Hey guys, thanks for your time. I'm not really experienced with this area of work so sorry for any confusion.

Okay, so for a while now i've had this leak problem in the foundation of my house where the sewage pipe goes through the cement wall. Everything in the house drains fine and there aren't any smells of sewage when it leaks. It happens most often when the ground is saturated and sometimes when the leak comes from say the washing machine, it still has soap in it. I can tell from the way it leaks though that the water leaves the house and comes back in.

I tried to put an expanding foam seal around the edge of the pipe on the interior side of the wall and all that did was slow the leak down, not stop it.

I was considering maybe removing the foam, putting it farther into the about hole in the wall where the pipe is and then putting hydraulic cement around the pipe just into the wall.

The hole is about 3/8" large around the bottom half of the pipe and sealed, im assuming form the previous owners, with cement around the top
Does anyone think this will work or have any suggestions?

Oh, and also when we drain the septic we are told there are no problems with the system and the leaks go away for a month or two before they start again.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-11, 07:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Are you sure that you mean the sewer pipe & not the where the vent goes through the wall, above it? If you see soap where the sewer pipe goes through the wall, the pipe is cracked. However, that wouldn't be seen on the leaves. If there is a restriction in the trap, water could back up through the vent. Then the leaves would be wet. Does that make sense?

Old 08-25-11, 07:16 PM
im not sure where the vent is positioned, all i know is sometimes the pipe that takes all the houses water out towards the system leaks back into the house after it at least gets past the interior surface. Maybe there is a crack. The few times when its leaked, the ground just outside of the wall above the pipe isn't wet from it

Old 08-25-11, 10:22 PM
Temporarily Suspended
My guess is a crack.

Old 08-26-11, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 188 Posts
I've had a similar problem with one of my rental houses years ago. The pipe going to the septic tank was broken about 15 feet from the house and the water was leaking into the basement near the floor. It only happened after good rains so at first I thought it was groundwater but one day the tenant poured a gallon of sour milk down the drain and later noticed that the water coming into the basement was white.

Old 08-26-11, 04:01 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with the cracked pipe... and you shouldn't try to fix it with cement or spray foam... you have an issue with sanitation, letting that nasty old poop water lay up on your foundation like that, especially since it leaks back in. You should have the pipe repaired.