Rushing water sound....HELP!

Old 09-05-11, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rushing water sound....HELP!

Let me start by saying we get our water from a community well that operates to 40 homes. Back in May of 09 we kept hearing a rushing water noise that sounds like a toilet flushing than clicks off and starts again after about 50 seconds. We had a plumber out and they ccould not find anything. Later we come to find out a pipe at the well burst and as soon as they fixed that the noise stopped. Dont know why we were the only house hearing this noise!
So again about a year later we started hearing the noise again and contacted the HOA about it again for them to check the well. They made some adjustments and the noise stopped again.
So fastforward to now and the same noise is back again. The HOA has stated they checked the well and can not find any problems. We ignored it because what are the odds that its not the well this time. Well this time our water bill went from $8 to $39! So we had a plumber out and once again he could not find any leaks but said our water meter is going back and forth and recommended getting a new meter with a back flow device on it. He said the water seems to keep flowing back and forth so my only guess is when the water is rushing one way its acting like we are using water when in reality we are not. So waiting on the HOA to call the plumber out to get a new meter put in but I still have a feeling its the community well again. What are the odds its not but than again why would our water bill go up this time when other times it was not affected? Any ideas on where to go next.
This has been an ongoing problem and its driving me crazy hearing this noise all day long! And if it has to do with the community well I dont understand why were the only house that can ever hear this noise and be affected by it!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-11, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hi.

Installing a backfow preventer on your water line will prevent what you are describing. Then they can worrie about the well.

Also if you put in a backfow then you need to add a expansion tank to your water system.

Mike NJ