Frost-free faucet won't shut off - ouch!

Old 09-12-11, 03:36 PM
Unhappy Frost-free faucet won't shut off - ouch!

Today my leaky frost-free faucet stopped leaking and now won't shut off, but seems to have the shut-off threads stripped because the on-off valve keeps turning. Fortunately, I have a 2-way diverter attached, so I can turn off the water now. However, winter is coming.

My problem is that the pipe goes into a very tight crawl space that is not easily accessible and requires a lot of squeezing and crawling to get to the line from inside the house. Is there any way that it can be repaired or disabled from the outside? I'd hate to have to replace it, and a plumber would not be happy doing that job, either.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian K

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-11, 04:11 PM
It wouldn't be too difficult to replace except for the tight crawlspace. I don't think you have any other choice at this point. If there is a shut off inside, as there should be, you can use that turn off the water and drawn it out so it won't freeze during the winter.

Old 09-12-11, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
You could repair it from the outside if you know the brand of faucet. And if they sell a repair kit for it. I always try to stick with using mansfield hose bibs. Repair parts are readily available.

If not you may need to do some crawling.

Pics help if you need help identifying.

Mike NJ

Old 09-16-11, 11:12 AM
How do I know which parts to get?

OK, looks like I'm in luck. The faucet is a Mansfield and I have a few pictures. I can't figure out how to post them here, so here's a link to them:

Flickr: ikleiman's Photostream

How can I tell which model (I see they have 300, 400, 600 models) and which parts. Also, where best to buy them?

Looks like this will be easier than I thought. Thanks for the tips!

IK

Old 09-16-11, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
OK. Well its stripped and that aint normal. Hopefully the rod is only stripped. What happens is when you leave a hose connected in the winter and the hose bib freezes, it does not always split them. Sometimes they expand from the ice. They expand enough that the threaded portion expands enough to move away from the rod threads.

Just a thought.

Also the rod could have just broke.

The 300 has no vacuum breaker
The 500 does ( You have a 500)
the 600 is a hot and cold.

Here are the part #s.

You need to measure the stem. Remove it and measure. They come in several lenghths.

6 " 123-0092
8" 123-0093
10" 123-0094
12" 123-0095
14" 123-0096

Washer kit

630-7755

Vacuum breaker kit

630-7500

Diagram and part list

http://www.mansfieldplumbing.com/ima...sPriceList.pdf

Mike NJ