Washer/Laumdry tub drain

Old 09-15-11, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Washer/Laumdry tub drain

Hello,

I asked a question about this a while back but I'm just starting to get around to it now. I want to plumb a drain for my washing machine and connect it to the current drain that is installed for the laundry tub. This is a basement laundry room so the drain is in the floor and there is no venting around so I'll be using air admittance valves. The washer drain will be housed in an Oatey laundry box, installed between the studs. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a picture/sketch of this situation or a similar one that I could refer to, or maybe someone could draw one up real quick. I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-11, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hi.

If you have a laundry sink there, then there is a vent. Where the sink goes into the wall there should be a 2" line. Tie the washer in line the pictures. All 2" and trap. Make sure you keep the washer box with in like 10 ft of the vent.

Mike NJ

Old 09-15-11, 07:31 AM
The sink doesn't go into the wall, it drains directly underneath into a drain in the concrete floor. I posted photos in my previous post, I'd attach it to this one but I'm responding from my phone. The only waste/drain plumbing in this room is all under the floor for the sink, floor drain, and toilet.

Old 09-15-11, 03:22 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not much left of that stud is there?

Is this the old thread?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...-plumbing.html

Why didn't you just continue with that old thread? Maybe a mod here can merge the threads back into one...

Mike, don't washer drains all have to be 2" ?

I think if you try to force that washer drain into 1-1/2" you may end up finding that the pipe can't take the full flow... much better in this case to simply drain into the laundry tub and let that gravity drain to the sewer.

Old 09-15-11, 04:09 PM
Yeah that's the thread! I didn't think to continue it in the same thread. Last resort would be to drain it directly into the laundry tub, I just don't like the look. But of course, if my only other option would involve tearing up the cement, I'd learn to live with it.

Old 09-15-11, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
One of the benefits of draining into a laundry tub is that the tub has a long way to fill if the drain doesn't take all the water at once. Most new washers require 2" drains and often will overflow a 1.5" standpipe. Especially if it's an older drain, who knows how clogged it may be.